One of the cool parts of having a blog is that I am now always on the lookout for something blogworthy. Every day is full of anecdotes that could easily be forgotten, but some I'm just not willing to forget because they are too awesome. In fact, they're beyawesome - that's beyond awesome, if you who haven't seen the new Disney movie
Bolt. Please see it, it's basically the best movie I've seen all year. Rhino the hamster is my new hero. But this post really has nothing to do with Bolt, it has to do with the beyawesome events of last night. If I was dense enough to not know I was pregnant yet, I would know it after last night. Here's a little background: on Saturday night PC and I went to his squadron's annual fundraiser, a big chili cookoff/auction/social in one of the base hangars. It was lots of fun, and although the chili was free, desserts were up for auction (I originally volunteered to help with this function and was actually going to bring

something to auction myself, but I couldn't make any of the committee meetings and bowed out hoping no one would notice. I didn't get many dirty looks from the committee wives that night, so I think they understood). There was a table full of delectable cakes and pies up for auction, so a friend and I decided to make a bid on this amazing Chocolate Overload Cake. It was beautiful, and it looked something like this. I patrolled the silent auction table until I was sure that our $13.00 bid would go unchallenged, because I REALLY wanted this. We won our spoils and went to our friends' home on base to partake of our sweet victory, and at the end of the night we divided the leftovers and PC and I went home. The cake was amazingly decadent, with so many layers and kinds of chocolate that it was like a different cake with each bite (I need to find out who made this at the next wives' meeting and get their recipe). I stole a couple more bites after we got home while I was "putting it away" in the kitchen. Now fast forward to Sunday. The cake was all I could think about all day, and through church, I wanted it so badly. After church we came home for lunch, and after eating some real food I got out the leftover cake. It was about one sixth of the original size at this point. PC quickly realized that I had no intention of sharing and that I fully intended to eat the whole thing, today. He was kind to give up the idea of getting any more cake, but he did encourage me to cut a piece and put the rest away for later, so I did. Later, it was time to make dinner, and I wanted to cook what is probably the healthiest dinner I know, stuffed spinach manicotti with tomatoes. I used to love this dish, but the last time I made it I couldn't stomach a bite, and last night was unfortunately no different. One whiff of spaghetti sauce and I was afraid I was going to puke (I've been avoiding spaghetti sauce for weeks because of that but thought it would be better by now - not so). PC helped me make the dish and even served it to me in hopes I would choke some down, but it didn't work. I am not making that again anytime soon. So there I was, 8:00 at night with no dinner and nothing that sounded or looked remotely good - EXCEPT the cake. PC had held out some hope that he would get some for dessert, but now that I had the "I didn't have anything for dinner" card to play, his kind heart wouldn't let him take more than two bites. In a sweet, sacrificial gestur

e, he gave me the cake that I had been intending to take anyway. I honestly can't describe how evil I am sometimes. I know I'm being mean, and irrational, and possessive, and I apologize for it at the same time I do it. I've never been like this in my whole life. There I was, sitting in my pajamas on the couch, selfishly enjoying my dinner of cake and frozen yogurt, with PC next to me watching the show
24. I've never really understood that show, and I asked him, "Do you feel about
The Bachelor the way I feel about
24?" to which he responded yes. I understood, and figured sitting through another hour of it wouldn't be bad, since I had my cake to entertain me. Within a few minutes I was wholly engrossed by this show. Jack was in Africa trying to save a group of poor innocent child soldiers from abuse by terrorists, and he was escaping with Mr. Benton, who was the boys' legal guardian who was trying to get them safely to America. Mr. Benton stepped on a landmine, but he knew what it was and that as long as he kept the sensor depressed with his foot, the bomb wouldn't go off. The poor little children didn't know what was going on, and didn't understand why Mr. Benton wasn't coming with them anymore. Jack had to leave him there to get the boys to safety, and they both knew Mr. Benton was going to die. He waited until the terrorists found him, shot him twice trying to get him to tell them where the boys went, and stepped very close to him before finally lifting his foot, killing the evil terrorists and saving his children from pursuit. At this point, cake in hand (and mouth), I burst into violent sobs. PC turned to me looking very confused; he hadn't seen this coming. Trying to answer his questioning look, I choked out between my crying and my full mouth, "You were so nice to give me the cake, and this show is so sad!" Hearing myself say that made me laugh, and once he knew it was okay to look amused, he did too. He went to turn it off and I said no, keep it on, it was just so moving. His new go-to phrase is "you're pregnant," sometimes said to encourage me and other times spoken to comfort himself, I think, on days like yesterday when he doesn't get any cake. I love you PC, you are the best!!!!!!!!
4 comments:
THAT is funny. I'm so with you on the food thing. I keep waiting to want all the normal things I used to eat before, but I still can't do it! I wasn't like this with Peyton. By the time 11 weeks rolled around, I was fine!
Well...now I've got to go wrestle up some chocolate cake. Once I get something in my mind, that's it! Lately it's been chips and salsa. Can't get enough of it!
I'm glad your hubby is so sensitive to your current state. You might want to warn him that it gets worse AFTER the baby is born! He should prepare now.... :)
AWWW Christen! That is quite entertaining!
I've done that PLENTY of times to my poor hubby! They really do adapt quite well to pregnancy although our mood swings can be quite chaotic and unpredictable. We were in the car one time after a trip up to Ohio and I burst in to tears and poor hubby could only ask what's wrong? As being in the drivers seat and driving can make comforting your pregnant wife diffucult and I managed to choke out "I miss Blair!" One of our good friends.
Thanks now I've got to go find some chocolate and it's not even 9AM LOL welcome to pregnancy!!! HEEHEE
You have your aunties' talent for writing, as I was so captivated by your story about the cake and the TV shows that I almost forgot this was part of the pregnancy story too! :-) Poor Mason, the most even-keeled person in the world....having to understand a pregnant wife's eating and TV-watching quirks! :-)
Isn't pregnancy awesome?!? It makes you feel so absurd at times.
That cake looks delish!!!
Post a Comment