Monday, November 30, 2009

Faithful

These are the lyrics to a new song by Steven Curtis Chapman from his album "Beauty Will Rise," which he wrote in response to his adopted daughter's death in a family accident last year. I don't know exactly what you're going through, but I know that God is faithful.

I am broken I am bleeding
I am scared and I'm confused
but you are faithful
yes you are faithful
I am weary unbelieving
God please help my unbelief
'cause you are faithful
yes you are faithful

I will proclaim it to the world
I will declare it to my heart
I'll sing it when the sun is shining
I will scream it in the dark

You are faithful you are faithful
when you give and when you take away
even then still your name is faithful
you are faithful
and with everything inside of me
I am choosing to believe
you are faithful

I am waiting for the rescue
that I know is sure to come
'cause you are faithful
yes you are faithful
I've dropped anchor on your promises
and I am holding on

'cause you are faithful
God you are faithful

Though I cannot have the answer
that I'm wanting to demand
I'll remember you are God
and everything is in your hand
in your hands you hold the sun the moon
the stars up in the sky
for the sake of love you hung your own son
on the cross to die

You are faithful
yes you are faithful
when you give and when you take away
even then great is your faithfulness
great is your faithfulness


I love the image of dropping anchor in God's promises, the unchanging truths of who He is, completely laid out for us in the Bible. There is nothing esoteric about His promises. They are for everyone who would take hold of them, everyone who would surrender themselves to Him. Holidays like Thanksgiving are just man-made observances that come and go, but one thing I'm forever thankful for is God's faithfulness. I'll leave you with one thing our pastor back home said yesterday before we left - how many times does our Lord command us to remember Christ's BIRTH? 0. Zero. Zip. Zilch. This is probably why I'm not especially fond of Christmas. He was born to die and be raised to life, conquering death for all who accept His redeeming love. That's something worth celebrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Love you so much! Z and I are so blessed to have you. I can't wait to spent the rest of my life with you! I am proud of you and our entire family!