If I could rewind several weeks and prepare myself for what was to come, here are some main points I would be sure to communicate to myself. Boy, is there a reason that God designed time to function in such a way that this kind of glimpse into the future is not possible...but let's just say it were. Here is what I would say to me:
The lessons you teach Ezekiel and Eden from their kindergarten curriculum may be more applicable to you than to them. During the turtle week of "I don't quit, I persevere," you will almost quit at everything. During the "God made us wonderful" week, you will badly sprain your ankle (see previous piece of advice) and illustrate to them how amazing it is that our bodies were designed to heal and regenerate after injury.
Try to keep your newly adopted tantruming child inside or someone may threaten to call the cops on you.
Go to the doctor sooner rather than later when you are caring for four young children, one with very special needs, and you feel very poorly. You might be borderline anemic with a bad sinus infection.
Stay in the Word, no matter what.
When you are at your lowest, God will meet you there.
Relationships are vital to a thriving existence.
Joy comes in the morning.
God's strength is perfect when yours is gone.
Family is a precious gift.
When driving alone at night in a strange city with no GPS and low phone battery, do not just follow the signs to any interstate going in the direction you want. The numbers matter.
...
Though I didn't have the benefit of obtaining such secret knowledge beforehand, I did benefit from some especially helpful advice and encouragement from family and friends along the way. Here is some that helped me most during the 6 weeks since we temporarily relocated to a different state with a new and neglected foreign child in tow:
Either your situation will improve, your ability to cope with it will improve, or both.
Hard doesn't mean bad. Hard can be really, really good.
Do not yield to discouragement no matter how sorely pressed or beset you may be. A discouraged soul is helpless. He can neither resist the wiles of the enemy while in this state nor can he prevail in prayer for others.
Remember that while you're giving it all you've got, God is able to supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Your family is being prayed for continually.
You are not alone, I know exactly how you feel.
...
If you were one who spoke any of those words or one of countless other encouragements to me, thank you, we both know who you are! If not, you still have encouraged us by reading our story and remembering us in prayer.
I hope to write a comprehensive update on Kami soon, but for now this will have to do!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment