Wednesday, September 2, 2015

a new era

It's been two months since the big move, and as I've shared, we're settling in to the way life looks right now. It's good. Not without challenge, but good. Maybe it's actually good because it has the element of challenge in it. A challenge-less life would be a boring one!

Things are changing around here. I recently shared that Kami was about to receive photos of her old home, and indeed she did. She devoured those images the evening she received them (it was the same day we met with our new Lifeline social worker, who is a wonderful new friend and helper God has placed in our area!). Kami nearly skipped dinner that night, which is saying a lot, and she experienced some regressions in the following days, but it's hard to pinpoint the cause. In a way, the whole playground photo book, though a blessing!, was anticlimactic for Kami. Seeing this less-than-dramatic reaction made me realize that the full year that now stands between her life in Bulgaria and her life now has distanced her significantly from the past. She is now a different person, endowed with the capacities of reason, speech, self-control, and much more. Those three things alone - reason, speech, and self-control - are enough to constitute a totally new creation. Of course the coming years will bring ups, downs and curves in our relationship with her, but as I look around at the other three little people in our house, I realize that the same is true with each of them. As we continue through the integration process with our newest addition, it may help to stop writing about her extensively and instead choose to share more in the future about what God is doing in our family as a whole.


We've been privileged to share Kami's and our journey with you, and I used this web page so heavily for that purpose that somewhere in cyberspace this page got tagged as an adoption blog. I'm sorry to disappoint those readers, if I have any, but it's not actually an adoption blog. :) Sure, there will probably be times in the future when I share a particularly noteworthy glimpse into Kami's life or share about adoption as I uncover more layers of it myself, but it won't be the focus anymore. God will finish what He started, and it's been a joy to share the starting part with you. The finishing won't be completed until we are in eternity!

It would be pretty easy to turn this into a homeschooling blog, because three weeks into teaching first grade, homeschooling has pretty much taken over my life. I could also turn it into a Disney blog, since a certain Grammy in the family gets us practically unlimited access to any and every Disney destination...or maybe a gluten-free lifestyle blog, or a preserving-your-marriage-with-lots-of-little-kids blog (I actually should be reading, not writing, that one!). Come to think of it, I could
just make it a LIFE blog about where God sends us, what He teaches us, and how He redeems. Yes, that sounds perfect.

Here are a few glimpses of what we've been up to lately!

Watching and riding Big Thunder Mountain at Magic Kingdom is a must-do for any 6-year-old train enthusiast.

When the line to meet Chip and Dale is closed, you can at least stand in front of them and steal another guest's photo op.

Isaiah at a Warbird museum - if anyone wants to know what to give him for special events in the future, contributions to his private pilot's license fund will work! This kid will definitely fly!

An arcade at Disney - last time we entered an arcade with Kami several weeks ago, she was completely overstimulated and needed to get out. It's surprising how fast the progress comes in some areas.

There are more parks here than we know what to do with! I'm trying to get used to both driving 30 minutes to get anywhere and having an overabundance of places to choose from.

Hollywood Studios

As summer comes to a close, I pray that wherever you find yourself - even if it's somewhere you never thought you'd be - that you see God working in and around you as the seasons change. Change often isn't easy, but He's with us through the grief, adjustment, and newness that it brings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excited to keep up with your new life chapter!