Friday, March 9, 2012

home study take two

Thursday the 8th was our second home study visit, the single interviews. Mason came home early to take the children while Ashley and I did our portion, and then the children and I enjoyed the pizza that Mason brought home while he and Ashley did their interview upstairs in the office. My interview went considerably longer than Mason's because I talk considerably more than he does. Mine was about an hour and 15 minutes, and his seemed like it took about 45 minutes! He said it seemed like she was trying to get him to talk more - I'm sure she was. I hope she got what she needed for the report. ;-) She had us talk in detail about our families of origin: relationships with parents and siblings, parents' marriage, family vacations, health history, our basic life timeline, school experiences, church experiences, employment, parenting experiences, family planning, and more. It was very peaceful and laid-back. Ezekiel and Eden warmed up to her this time and interacted with her more, which is good since they'll be in the final report too. Since the last time we saw her, we've bought a fire escape ladder for the second floor, posted a fire escape plan, and researched more health conditions we may be willing to accept. We're nearing the end of our education, which should be finished by the 16th, our final meeting. Mason and I have a couple hours worth of Peru reading to finish and about two hours of International Adoption Clinic health lectures to go. It's quite a feeling of accomplishment to look back and see what God's allowed us to complete over the last 4 months (already 4 months since we started the process, wow!)! Today Mason had his home study physical (there will probably be another one in the next few months for the dossier) and blood work, and I had my blood work done but am saving my physical report for the end of the month when I can see the OB/GYN I used during Eden's pregnancy (she knows my medical history better than the rotating staff at Flight Medicine here on base). Next week Mason and I will try to get our TB skin tests done, and after the lab work comes in and we give the final $750 to Ashley, I think we'll have our hands clean of the home study! It's been a very smooth and easy process so far. Time and thought consuming, and organizationally demanding, but smooth. That's of course by God's grace and nothing we have done! 

A few days ago I took Ezekiel and Eden to Lifeway Christian Store to do some shopping and look for the new Kari Jobe CD for Ezekiel (he's fallen asleep to her same CD every night for about the last 2 years). Kari was sold out, so we bought Aaron Shust's "This is What We Believe" for $5 (that was a steal!). That album has been an amazing encouragement to both Mason and me in the week since we've had it! This guy writes songs from the Bible. It sounds simple and alot of artists do it, but the way he does it really resonates with me. His song "We Are Free" (I have so many favorite songs with that basic theme that I am free, we are free, we live in freedom - because that's the most amazing thing about having a relationship with Jesus Christ) encouraged me on a night when my natural self would have naturally flown off the handle with Ezekiel. Some of my most ungodly, deplorable words and actions have surfaced during his fits over the last year or so. Here is the chorus that I gratefully had stuck in my head during this latest tantrum:

We are free to love
Like our God has loved 
We are free to give like he gave
We are free from sin
We are free to begin
To forgive as he forgave
We are free 

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Galatians 5:1)! Ezekiel's tantrums, by the way, have improved by leaps and bounds in the last few months. His rapidly growing communication skills are part of that, but I also learned ALOT through The Connected Child (one of our required adoption readings) about how to improve his brain chemistry and increase his sense of felt safety! I feel sure those have helped him just as much as his growing vocabulary, and of course prayer has been huge.

Most powerful verse for my heart this week:

O LORD, you are my God; 
   I will exalt you and praise your name, 
for in perfect faithfulness 
   you have done marvelous things, 
   things planned long ago. - Isaiah 25:1

Update after our final interview next week!

No comments: