Tuesday, July 1, 2014

patience

I wonder if for the first time I might finally be getting the hang of patience, and not the kicking and screaming with gritted teeth kind that I've been familiar with in the past (which isn't really patience at all). Something interesting happened last week starting on Tuesday, which marked 1 week since our court date. We had expected to hear travel dates by that point, and when we were told that it was still too early, discouragement loomed and expectations required rearranging. 

During the rearranging, the Holy Spirit encouraged my heart that this wait is nothing in the light of eternity. 

Our days on earth are like grass;
    like wildflowers, we bloom and die.
16 The wind blows, and we are gone—
    as though we had never been here. 
              Psalm 103:15-16

Since our entire life here on earth is but the blink of an eye to God, I don't even know how to identify the very short time that stands between us and picking up Kamelia. It's hardly worth mentioning. At the same time, the LORD is working this wait to the good of everyone involved. If nothing else, it's a practical lesson in waiting patiently for Him. The timetable for Kami's adoption was intricately planned and set by her Creator from the foundation of the world. He knows which day will become known as "Kami Day" in this family, the day that we walk her out of her orphanage and into her new life.

This current lesson in patience reminds me of labor and birth (which is not surprising since that is one of my favorite subjects!). During Ezekiel's birth, I was unfamiliar with and unprepared for this new kind of pain and dealt with it by tensing up. Naturally, this made it feel more pronounced. During Eden's and Isaiah's births, I put into practice all of my natural birthing preparation and found that relief was truly found in surrendering to the pain and working with it. Most if not all of the pain had been a result of my tensing up. I've found this week to be not dissimilar! Once I let go of the fruitless anxiety over whether we will pick up our daughter by such-and-such date, I found that although this wait is still uncomfortable at times, it's not as painful. It's much more exciting, and in the moments that I find myself becoming restless or imagining that I can control any of this, the Holy Spirit reminds me that He who began a good work in this family will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6).

We were also greatly encouraged by the prayers of our friends in our small group at church. A dear family even brought dinner over last Tuesday night and covered our home and family in prayer. What an encouragement to these weary souls! The last five months since our first trip have brought some of the wildest events Mason and I have ever experienced. I would like to share with you a thorough list of the bizarre challenges we've faced since that trip, but to do so would take far too long and require far too much rehashing in light of the bright and exciting future ahead of us. When I wrote a few months ago about how "adoption isn't charity - it's war," I had no idea what lay ahead, but God did. He has been so faithful to protect us and sustain us at the most difficult times, and I know that He will be right there with us when it's go time and we take off to finish what He began on the day we first saw that little girl's picture.

We're praying for travel dates SOON, but until they come down, we will be waiting patiently! 

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: