The other day I dressed Kami in a swimsuit for the first time and let her loose with a super soaker in the backyard with her siblings. She looked so normal! Years of deprivation and neglect make it difficult for her to move with great coordination, stay focused on a single task, display appropriate facial expressions, and other things. But when she is playing with a squirt gun running barefoot in the grass, I discovered, none of these issues present themselves. She laughs as her big brother squirts her in the face and she pumps that super soaker handle smoothly, with ease. This is a child who, less than one year ago, did not have the muscle strength or coordination to depress a toilet handle to flush it.
The other day she bolted across the house into our bedroom when she heard the sound of her daddy wrestling her siblings on the bed. She knows that these sounds mean fun, and that she wants to be part of it.
I said "Goodnight, Kami," and she replied with "Goodnight, Mommy." She asked me to show her how to snuggle when we were all loving on Isaiah before his nap (we are a super snuggly family, so this is an important lesson!).
She brings toys out of her room and sits down with them in the family room in order to be with us. She no longer retreats back there on a regular basis to pace and babble.
She drank liquid from a straw during her last therapy session! I found myself cheering as I watched, and I celebrated as I watched her lick her lips for the first time. Early deprivation and neglect led to so many deficits, but as her therapist noted, Kami learns very quickly after being shown what to do.
Even and perhaps especially in the area of emotional control, Kami has made great strides. She knows when she is feeling angry, sad or hurt, and she knows when she is laughing and happy. She can assign words to those feelings and makes the effort to remain calm or ask for help when she needs it.
Most importantly, and this is what has led to most of the other changes - she knows a great deal of Scripture! She can verbally fill in the blank on many verses, like "God sets the lonely in families" and "Rejoice in the Lord always." When I sing "Jesus Loves Me" and leave out words, she fills them in. No longer humming and singing mindless orphanage songs, she sings praise and worship songs, her favorites including "Cornerstone" and "Build Your Kingdom Here." She doesn't have all the lyrics down yet, but simply hearing the melody come from her mouth is pretty astounding when we remember where she came from.
"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus' name
Christ alone, Cornerstone
Weak made strong in the Savior's love
Through the storm, He is Lord
Lord of all"
"Build your Kingdom here
Let the darkness fear
Show your mighty hand
Heal our streets and land
Set your church on fire
Win this nation back
Change the atmosphere
Build your Kingdom here we pray
We seek Your kingdom first
We hunger and we thirst
Refuse to waste our lives
For You're our joy and prize
To see the captive hearts released
The hurt, the sick, the poor at peace
We lay down our lives for Heaven's cause"...
Today was an amazing Saturday. There were no abnormal emotional outbursts, no need for time outs, no need for separation from siblings. This must be real Kami, and we must expect to see more of her! It was amazing to watch Ezekiel, Eden and her play in their swimsuits in the backyard together, enjoying sprinklers and squirt guns, as I reflected on a specific pre-adoption moment from last spring when I remember distinctly longing to have her playing back there with us. It was equally amazing to sit at her bedside tonight as all three of her siblings came in to hug on her and say goodnight, her dad standing in the doorway looking on. For the first time, she volunteered "Ah wahv you" (I love you) as I left the room. She fell asleep on her pillows with a blanket over her, which is very rare - every night I can recall, she has thrown everything off her bed and situated herself face down with her hands tucked under her thighs for comfort. Please forgive the poor quality photo, but I must share it.
She is surrounded by love. And I'm exceedingly grateful that today, there was no need for tough love. We had plenty of that over the past week, and there will be more to come, but God gave this momma the blessing of a day with tough taken out of the equation. For all of our mistakes - for all of her meltdowns - for all of my meltdowns - Kami is making spectacular progress towards health in her spirit, mind and emotions. I am proud of her!
And I am humbled to mother these three incredible blessings who are daily being the hands and feet of Jesus to their new sister! To God be the glory for the mighty works He is doing in this family!


1 comment:
So thankful for God's grace and your obedience.
Post a Comment